I enjoyed this article on Tim Rice today.
Here’s five reasons why…
- Collaborate! What a list of composers he can list as partners – Freddie Mercury, Elton John, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Alan Menken, and Benny and Bjorn from ABBA.
- Write honestly, not with the intention of writing a hit – Don’t Cry For Me Argentina is surely the only UK No. 1 hit to have been written as a political speech.
- Write with humour – ‘Make your first show funny’, Rice says. ‘Save the angst for later’.
- Not all your songs will be great – Rice has 145 unused songs.
- You never know where the thing you’re working on will end up – Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat was originally written as a show for a school choir with an Elvis impersonator.