So here are the answer to yesterday’s questions, as promised.
- In what key is the song? Does it change at all? C. No.
- How many beats in a bar? 4.
- How many bars in Verse 1 (i.e. from the beginning of Verse 1 until the beginning of Verse 2)? Are they all the same length? 19 bars of 4/4 and 1 bar of 2/4 (bar 15).
- Usually in pop/rock/folk/country music, the 1, 4 and 5 chords are major and the 2, 3 and 6 chords are minor. Are there any examples of this being reversed (i.e. the 1, 4 and 5 being minor or the 2, 3, 6 being major)? If so please give bar and beat numbers. Yes. All three minor chords (2, 3, 6) appear in this song as major also. The 2 chord (D) in Bar 14 of the Verse. The 3 chord (E) all over the song – for example in Bar 2, 3, 6 and 7 of the Verse. And the 6 chord changes from minor to major in Bar 12 of the Verse.
- How many times does a diminished chord appear in the song? Is it always the same diminished chord? I can hear 4 diminished chords. A G#dim appears on the last beat of Bar 11 in the Verse, and a D# dim appears on Bar 4 of the B section.
Here is my take on Verse 1, with a few small reharmonisations, and below again is a complete chord chart for anyone interested.