It happens. To everybody. At least once. Hopefully only once.
When it happens, this is what you should do.
- Stop beating yourself up.
- Decide which gig to cancel (should be whichever gig you accepted second, save for exceptional circumstances).
- Look at it from the gig organiser’s perspective and think of replacements for you for that gig.
- Ring the gig organiser involved ASAP.
- Apologise, explain and suggest alternatives.
- Offer any other assistance that could help the situation.
- Figure out why the double-booking happened and take steps so that it won’t happen again.
- Stop beating yourself up. You can’t be in two places at once.