The musical director is the person in charge of delivering the musical side of a project. Sometimes this is the whole project, sometimes it’s part of a bigger picture.
Recently I have been both director and directee in various situations. Here are some observations.A good musical director will:
- Know the music inside out.
- Be confident enough to say when things are wrong and address them.
- Create an environment where people feel comfortable expressing themselves.
- Trust her musicians.
- Read the atmosphere in a room.
- Single people out only when necessary and in a respectful way.
- Always remember that music is meant to be fun.
A good directee will:
- know his part in the music inside out.
- Have trust in the musical director.
- Bring positive energy and commitment to the project.
- Be confident enough to make suggestions to the musical director, but accept that the final decision is hers.
- Play the music to the best of his ability every time.
- Have fun playing.